Thursday, February 25, 2010

Wilton Grinding wheel.....


We bought this grinding wheel for Mr. Fix-its shop in 2002. Mr. Fix-it modified it right away to change one side to an eight inch braided wire wheel. We are getting ready for our lawnmower season in a couple of weeks and the eight inch wheel has been reduced to a six inch wheel over the last 7.5 years.  The picture below shows the worn wheel....we are going to replace it but we are going to recycle this used one to a friend or family member, it should still be useful to someone....
The wheel we have now was made in U.S.A. I am going to hunt around to see if I can find a replacement made in the U.S.A.  I will keep you posted.


As an asides:

My sister and I had a discussion the other day that has me thinking ,she knows that I blog about items made here and abroad and the quality of those items.....she now sells a product that has to be manufactured by hand by a person. She currently has someone in the U.S.A. handcrafting this item for her for $6.00 and the materials cost her $3.00...so for a total of $9.00 outlay she sells the item for $27.95. Making about $19.00 an item. She met a gentleman several weeks ago that has stuff produced in Bangladesh, he saw her item, and said to her " give me a sample and I will have it quoted for you...I can probably get them made for .40 cents a piece including material...."

How can you fight the thoughts of making so much more money per item? The lure of the dollar....that is why manufacturing is going down the tubes in the U.S.A. American workers want to make a high wage per hour and want all the benefits and don't want to work that hard....admit it, it is true.

What can we as people do about this?